I picked up this vanity at an auction. The feet sold me. Pure awesomeness.
It was in pretty good condition, but the overall look of her isn’t what’s in style today, so she needed a
I sanded her down for what seemed like hours. Actually, it might’ve been literally hours. I opted for an off white paint, which in hindsight probably wasn’t the best choice. She suuuuuuuucked in all the paint. All the paint. Coat after coat after coat. She kept eating it. I don’t usually prime because it’s usually not necessary, but looking back..I definitely should’ve primed. So, after endless coats of paint, I decided we needed to move to plan B.
I gave her a light sanding. Just enough to get a smooth finish and then I distressed the corners and edges. I took a dark stain and stained over top the paint. Rub on, rub off vigorously. This requires SO much elbow grease. You don’t want too much stain. So immediately after you rub it on, you have to rub it back off. I don’t do this technique often, because…..well because it’s borderline torturous.
To finish her off completely she got a few coats of wax. The outcome is pretty great though. It looks naturally aged and I think the lighter color on this piece was the right choice….now that it’s done.